School Dinner Jam and Coconut Cake
One of the highlights of school life, light and fluffy coconut cake topped with jam and coconut sprinkles and served with lashings of hot custard. If the dinner ladies were feeling adventurous, then we had pink custard...errr I think I'll give that a miss and stick to the golden variety!
Puddings were always the best part of school meals!
- 8oz caster sugar
- 8oz softened butter
- 8oz self raising flour
- 4 large free range eggs
- vanilla extract
- 2oz desiccated coconut
- half teaspoon baking powder
- strawberry or raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut.
- Cream together the sugar and butter.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Add a couple of drops of vanilla extract
- Add the coconut and gently fold in the flour.
When the cake has cooled slightly spread the top with jam and sprinkle with the remaining coconut. Serve with lashings of hot custard.
Top marks for you!